Harold Clapham Lander

Harold Clapham Lander (1868-1955), son of R S Lander, was educated at Tonbridge School and attended University College, London. Articled to Richard Smith and Charles King Bedells in 1888 and remained with the practice. Traveled in Belgium, France, Germany, Switzerland and Holland.
Lander was elected to ARIBA in 1894 and commenced independent practice in London and Tonbridge Wells in 1895

Extracted from Directory of British Architects 1834-1914, British Architectural Library.

Alfred Saxon Snell

Alfred Saxon Snell was the son of Henry Saxon Snell. Together with his brother Harry the three were in partnership in London under the name of H. Saxon Snell and Son. The partnership was dissolved in 1891.
Alfred was also responsible for Willesdon Workhouse and infirmary and Marylebone Public baths, later to become the Magistrates’ Court.

Rowland Plumbe

Rowland Plumbe (1838-1919) studied at University College, London and was articled to Nockalls Johnson Cottingham and Frederick Peek.
After spending 2 years in America, in the office of Frederick Clark Withers, Plumbe returned to London in 1860 to commence independent practice in the City of London.
He was District Surveyor of South Islington from 1875 and of West Hamstead until 1891
Extracted from Directory of British Architects 1834-1914, British Architectural Library

Potts & Hennings

Edward Potts (1839-1901) was born in Bury, Greater Manchester on 4 March 1839. He was articled to George Woodhouse from 1854 and in the London office of John Pritchard and John Pollard Sleddon from 1860. In 1861 Potts went into partnership with G Woodhouse in Oldham and was later Senior partner in Potts, Sulman and Hennings of London
Arthur William Hennings (1872-1926) was born in Manchester. Articled to Sir John Sulman in May 1872 he remained in that office until February 1888 He passed his qualifying exam in 1888.
Hennings continued the business of Sulman when he left for Sydney, in partnership with Edward Potts and Edward’s son William Potts.
William Edward Potts was a pupil of his father from about 1875 and remained in the office of his father excepting for 18 months in the office of John Sulman. Studying at University College, London he passed his qualifying exam in 1888.
Extracted from Directory of British Architects 1834-1914, British Architectural Library.

Samuel Bridgman Russell FRIBA

Samuel Bridgman Russell (1864-1955) Articled to Hewitt Bridgman in 1881 for 3 years, attending RA Schools from 1882. Assistant to Thomas Chartfield Clarke and son, Howard Chartfield Clarke from 1885, and to Messers Wallace & Firckart from 1886. Elected to ARIBA in 1890 and commenced independent practice in 1891. In partnership with James Glen Sivewright Gibson from 1888 and with Sir Thomas Edwin Cooper from early 1900 to 1912. Chief Architect to the Ministry of Health.
In partnership with his son, Robert Tor Russell for a short time in 1939 and retired he same year. He was both a Freemason and a JP.
Extracted from Directory of British Architects 1834-1914, British Architectural Library.

J J Thomson

John James Thomson was articled to his father, James Thomson.
Assistant to James Mountford Allen, Robert Howard Short and Sir Horace Jones and traveled in Belgium, France and Germany.
Elected to ARIBA in 1864, FRIBA in 1898 and retired in 1900.
Commenced independent practice in Chelsea in 1864 and was assistant Architect to the Inclosure Commission and Superintendent to the Board of Agriculture.
Extracted from Directory of British Architects 1834-1914, British Architectural Library.

Charles Barry & Charles Edward Barry

Charles Barry (1823-1900) attended Sevenoaks Grammar School and was in the office of his father Sir Charles Barry from 1840 to 1846 in which year he was elected to ARIBA. Barry was later in practice with Robert Richardson Banks from 1847 and until Bank’s death. Became Architect and Surveyor to the Dulwich College Estate from 1858. Awarded Royal Gold Metal in 1877.
Charles Edward Barry (1855-1937) was a pupil and assistant of his father being elected to ARIBA in 1878. In partnership with Charles Barry and later with Carly Arthur Ransome Barry, his son. Became Architect and Surveyor to the Dulwich College Estate, succeeding his father.
Extracted from Directory of British Architects 1834-1914, British Architectural Library.

Arnold Dunbar Smith & Cecil Claude Brewer

Arnold Dunbar Smith (1866-1993), born in Islington, was apprenticed to J.G. Gibbons of Brighton in 1883 and studied at the Brighton School of Art and the Architectural Association in London.. He worked for Millard & Baggallay between 1884 and 1895 while he continued his studies and during this time entered the Royal Academy Schools as well as traveling in France, Belgium, Germany and Switzerland.

Cecil Claude Brewer (1871-1919) was apprenticed to F.T. Baggallay between 1890 and 1893. After a brief period at the Clifton College (1889) he continued his studies at the University College in London, where he received the Donaldson Medal in 1890, and, from 1891 to 1893 the Architectural Association, winning the silver Medals for 1892 and 1893 as well as the AA Traveling Studentship in 1894. From 1893 to 1898 he studied at the Royal Academy Schools where he won the Gold Medal and Traveling Studentship, He traveled in France, England, Italy, Belgium and the Netherlands.

Smith and Brewer formed a partnership in 1895 in London and in the same year won the competition for the Passmore Edwards Settlement in Tavistock Place, London which established their reputation as arts and crafts architects working in the so-called “Free Style” of the 1890s (an attempt to create a new architectural style for England).
The firm designed mainly domestic work utilising vernacular traditions (such as Fives Court, Pinner Middlesex) until 1909 when they won the competition for the National Museum of Wales (1910) in Cathays Park, Cardiff. This monumental building, one of the earliest in Great Britain to utilize the Beaux-Arts style then popular in the United States, signaled a change in direction for the firm. The Arts and Crafts Movement was failing and architects were returning to classicism, particularly for large, public buildings. The innovative design of Heal’s Furniture Store (1916), however, suppressed the classical imagery in favour of an honest expression of the steel frame structure of the building.After Brewer’s death in 1918, Smith continued the work of the firm and designed many houses as well as additions to the Fitzwilliam Museum (1924-1933). In 1930, J.A. Meikle and K.W.F. Harris became partners under the firm name of A. Dunbar Smith.
After Smith’s death in 1933, Meikle, Harris and Sidney Clark continued the practice under the original firm name of Smith and Brewer. The firm was dissolved with the death of Clark in 1949.

Charles John Phipps & Arthur Bloomfield Jackson

Charles John Phipps (1835-1897) was one of the first architects to specialise in theatre design, at the age of 29 designing the Theatre Royal, Nottingham. Phipps was a prolific theatre designer and his other commissions include the Savoy Theatre, Nottingham’s Theatre Royal, The Grand Theatre, Wolverhampton, Her Majesties, Haymarket, The Royal Theatre, Northampton, Theatre Royal Bath, The Lyceum in Edinburgh and the Theatre Royal Glasgow.
Arthur Blomfield Jackson of Holborn was connected with St. Mary & St. Paul , Wennington (c.1917) and St. Barnabas, King Square, Finsbury, (c.1914) It is also known that he directed alterations to the Strand Theatre in 1900.
Extracted from Directory of British Architects 1834-1914, British Architectural Library.

Maurice Bingham Adams 1849-1933

Maurice Bingham Adams Educated at Cliffe House Academy, Lewes, Adams worked in two large building firms in Brighton from May 1865 to April 1866. Articled to Horatio Nelson Goulty of Brighton from February 1867 he was later assistant to Sir William Emerson and to Thomas Maynard, and, from 1870 to 1872, Clerk of Works and architect to Philip Causton Lockwood, Borough Surveyor of Brighton.
Adams commenced independent practice in !873 and was on the staff of Building News from 1872 until he retired in 1923. He was also Architect to Brighton Borough Council and Honorary Architect to Chiswick Charity Trusts.
Extracted from Directory of British Architects 1834-1914, British Architectural Library.
According to Alistair Black ( A New History of the English Public Library) Adams was the second most prolific architect of public libraries prior to WW1 and was responsible for designing five of the Libraries funded by Passmore Edwards. He shared with Edwards the belief in the importance of efficient architecture in providing the educational institutions required to face the perceived threat to the economy from foreign competition. Likewise he believed in self help.
A proponent of the Queen Anne style, he was responsible for the Bedford Park development in West London which provided him with a home and also, in Bedford Place, the home where Passmore Edwards was later to live.
Adams was an internationally recognised architect delivering commissions in both the USA and Australia.